Friday, August 24, 2012

Vacation fit for God?

Well, it all started with this competition by Indiblogger, and seeing that I've not been to any other country (Dubai doesn't count - it's an extension of Kerala anyway!), this seemed to be the right opportunity for me to venture out. All I needed to do was win this competition on Indiblogger, which has like, oh..... maybe a thousand fantastic bloggers...... Piece of cake!!

(A word of advise to the readers : There are awesome links all through the post, which helped me in my research. Do visit these links - they are really helpful if anyone is planning a trip to Melbourne)

God and I sometimes have conversations when the rest of the world is snoring into oblivion. God, incidentally, is my mentor in cynicism and irony.

(Yeah!Yeah! I know You're Omnipotent and all that - But lets tell these good people how You and I reached that deal, shall we? Just so that they don't waste their time competing for the prize!)

So anyway, I reminded God how good I've been lately, and how badly I needed God to make exceptions to 'thou shalt not be greedy'! I did a lot of research at the official Melbourne website, and the resultant conversation went something like this:

Me : God, now that we've known each other for over three decades, don't You think it's time I got my friendship day present?

God : You've been spending too much time at Archie's gift shops haven't you? Anyway, what is it that you wish for?

Me : I want to go to Melbourne....... No, actually, I want to win this competition..... No, actually, I want to visit all these lovely places in Melbourne, after winning the competition that will take me there.

(There! that should take care of the 'watch what you wish for - it just might come true' fallacy)

God (trying to keep a straight face) : Win? The way you write? That really is pushing it too far, my child. Anyway, why Melbourne?

Me (gushing for required effect) : You know how much I love adventure, right, God?

God (with a patient look in Those benevolent eyes) : Yes, my child, I know. I am still trying to forget every high pitched "Oh Gaaaaaawd - saaaaave me!" each time you landed into one of those 'adventures'. It sure didn't look like you were enjoying yourself back then!

Me : Err.........Ofcourse I was enjoying it! That's how you're supposed to yell when you fall a few feet from a roller coaster! Any way, back to Melbourne. Did You know there's loads of adventure to do there? There's Sky diving.... and car racing .....

God :  I would have thought you'd done enough car racing on Delhi roads - I don't think I can handle more swear words than that!

Me (pretending to ignore the divine voice) : .... and even battle tank riding!! Can you beat that?

God : My child, surely, with all the lovely food I put on your table, even your walk to the car must seem like battle tank riding to you.... (I told you God was my mentor!)

Me : Not fair - I am on a diet, you know! Anyway, speaking of which - there are awesome celebrity chef restaurants in Melbourne - the kinds that serves Masterchef Australia kinda food! And all kinds of international cuisine too (I've always wondered how Vietnamese food tastes, or Spanish for that matter!!) - not to mention pubs!

God : (suppressing a laugh) Yes, child. I have seen you drooling all over the carpet watching Masterchef Australia, and I am aware of the nocturnal effect pubs have on you!

Me : Err..... no, God - I didn't exactly mean I'd spend all my time eating and drinking. And its such a safe place for nightlife too - You of all, know how important that is for a woman these days! Wait - there's so much more!!  Can you imagine floating past the beautiful Melbourne city in a hot air balloon? Hundreds of feet above..... sigh!! And a glass of Australian wine, and a guy proposing to you with a solitaire ring...... sigh!!!

God : Ahem! This is still about Melbourne, is it not? If this is another request for the right guy, let me tell you this conversation is over.

Me: Err..... ofcourse God -  Melbourne is sports crazed, right? And so am I!

God (with one divine Eyebrow raised quizzically) : Which sport, if I may ask, do you play? For I seem to only see you having a go at the X-box in your routine of tardiness!

Me : Whoa! Who said anything about playing?  I watch cricket, and football (or footy, as they would call it in Melbourne) and the stadiums are to die for!! Definitely beats having to watch a match on TV! Also, there are these awesome speed boats, on which I'd like to whizz past the Port Phillip Bay.

God : Hmmm....Port Phillip seems a nice place - actually the kind of place I would head to, if I didn't have to listen to people like you all the time!

Me (seeing a ray of hope) : Yes, absolutely God! It has over 1,950 square kilometres, and is quite comparable to Your abode. I mean, there's fishing, sailing, speed boats, kayaking and snorkeling. And for a change, all of it is clean, with a self-sustaining eco system.  You know how much I admire Your creativity, God. And there is so much beauty in all that marine life in Port Phillip ..... You really are a genius you know!! ...... err......So how about that competition? Am I winning it?

God : Not so fast, you sweet talker! What else are you planning to do there?

Me : I would also love to see the penguins at Phillip Island, which is just 2 hours away from Melbourne (I promise I won't smuggle any back home!).  Or even better..... maybe a moonlit walk through the bountiful natural beauty of a wildlife sanctuary You have so lovingly created in Melbourne.........

God (Smiling with such deep knowledge): So you really thought I'm going to push a few buttons and make you win this competition? You really thought it's your time to visit Melbourne NOW, didn't you?

Well, tough luck, my child........ You see, I am due for a vacation, and I'll let you know all about it when I'm back from Melbourne......... we'll have a little chat - Woman to woman! Be good till then!

73 comments:

  1. Superb post, Nirvana. And written in such a creative manner.

    BTW, when does God get back from vacation? I need to have a talk with Her too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honour having you come by, Sudhagee..... and appreciate all the kind words. Am sure God will be in a better mood when back from vacation ;-)

      Delete
  2. To say I snorted with laughter in some places would be travesty - very interesting way to approach a contest.

    Good luck, hope to see you write a travelogue of Melbourne sometime soon.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS .... thank you, and as always, your comments are the ones that bring a smug smile to my face. Thanks for the wishes - if I ever write a travelogue, it'll definitely be dedicated to you!!

      Delete
  3. Loved this post!!! :) A very innovative one especially the gender of God.. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia.... and welcome to the blog. The gender - bender was an idea I'd read somewhere and it stuck ;-) !

      Delete
  4. No wonder , I know now god has been on vacation , i was wondering why my wishes were not being fulfilled :) lovely post and all the best ..

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe!!! Like I said to Sudhagee, when God's back, (S)he'll be in a good mood - so ask away! Thanks for the praise, Bikram.

      Delete
  5. I need God too! If She is too busy, I can make do with a vacation till she returns.
    Lovely Blog !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha!! Thats a good one, Shilpa.... welcome to the blog - glad you liked it!

      Delete
  6. Great post Nirvana! You are quite a story teller I see :)Besties for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Misha .... I tell really tall tales :-) .... and thank you for the wishes!

      Delete
  7. hahaha..this was soo imaginatively creative..ekdumm masstt..and thankyou for all the links..has given me a lot to love about melbourne..
    all the best for the contest...
    cheers !! :)

    PS- i loved the last line.
    WOMAN to WOMAN..i have always cribbed at many of my MOMENTS..that GOD is a SHE..pffft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meoww.......... so glad to have you come by... and am happy that you found the links useful... the pictures are just awesome, right? And thanks for the wishes!

      Delete
  8. Super. Loved the creativity of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smarrrrt i like it..:):)
    Very creative..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Ankitha.... thanks for coming by... and so glad you liked it!

      Delete
  10. He he he..good one lovey!!!
    I sure hope "Dear God" helps you win that well deserved vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha!! FINALLY! I get a visit from you!! Thanks Seema, but as you very well know, God is planning on a vacation Herself :-) !! Thank you so much for all the encouragement in everything I do!

      Delete
  11. that is so imaginative! had fun reading it :-) ...and like others I too have been wondering why's God taking so long to grant my wishes. I'd like to believe (s)he's on a vacation!! All the very best to you for the competition :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Purva.... well yeah... most of us have a loooong list for Her/Him when back from Vacation, huh? Thanks for coming by and the wishes!

      Delete
  12. oofff!! God is so hard to please!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe!! That is true... maybe the vacation will make it easier! :-) .... thanks

      Delete
  13. Now this was some creative writing :D..hardcore imagination and personal check with God! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red .... it does look like I was serving time in a mental asylum from some of my posts, doesn't it? :-)!

      Delete
  14. Wonderful one..(I should add "As always".) I hope and pray that you win that Well Deserved vacation.Ofcourse you will owe us a virtual tour of Melbourne through your looooooong and detailed post about your trip..Good Luck dear !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! Thank you so much Sumitha ... Appreciate all the encouragement for the crazy stuff I write!

      Delete
  15. OMG, this is too creative. You should totally win this, God's help or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heheh!! Thanks Sumitra... really appreciate the wishes!

      Delete
  16. Laughing so hard I am finding it difficult to hit the right keys!!!Fabulous, amazingly creative! Have a great vacation :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rukhsana.... welcome to the blog. And thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  17. Oh wow!!! this is pretty awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, thats one creative post!! its funny, its really imaginative, i mean it basically gives you a virtual tour of everything one can do in melbourne!!
    best of luck, loved your writing style!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archana..... thanks for comig by. And thank you for the appreciation.

      Delete
  19. lovely blog and lovely post...your creativity and wit shines through.Thanks for visiting my little "gold nugget" and appreciating !

    ReplyDelete
  20. So God is eying the prize a as well, eh!? Tell Her, She's got competition!!
    All the best to all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet!! I mean some of those posts are like full fledged travel itineraries!! Thanks! Same to you!

      Delete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a fabulous and interesting read! Loved it! The way God started, 'you are pushing it too far' and proving Him(?) to be a Her (Woman) was too good! Well, did God win some contest to Melbourne? ;)
    (Typo was the reason I had to delete the last post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when people are particular about crossing their t's and dotting their i's! Mogambo khush hui... Well can you really deny that God's a Her? Look at all the lovely stuff thats been created ;-) .... thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  23. Well, it should be very interesting !!
    That’s a great blog post topic! Thanks for sharing your this kind of story in that post and i have really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you isaacoomber - and really glad you liked it.

      Delete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was indeed a very creative way of penning all the tourist attractions in a dialogue,with links. I am sure your friend 'The Almighty God' will seal the deal with you!! :) All the best !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe!! thank you Deeptea.... appreciate that you came in to check out the blog!!

      Delete
  26. GREAT THOUGHT!! Can I have His/ Her Number? Please give me when he returns, as I don't like to enhance his roaming bill.
    Jokes apart, I suddenly remembered a line from Him ( Lord Krishna):
    Karmanye Vadhikaraste, Ma phaleshou kadacha na,
    Best Wishes. Love to see you in Melbourne though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! yeah - completely agree - "Karm" is thonly thing in our hands - "Phal" is for Him/Her to decide! thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  27. Wonderfully crafter story.The embedded information is unique too. Good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the appreciation, Amit!

      Delete
  28. Very creative.. LOL. That was very unique idea

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent portrayal, and a unique dialogue with God. very beautifully penned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MV .... appreciate you coming over to read this!

      Delete
  30. Refreshingly Creative,

    Hardly I come across people (read women) who have such a good sense of reality about themselves.

    write on Nirvana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heyy!!!! A borderline case of MCP here? Hehehe.... having said that, thank you so much for coming by, AND for the compliments!

      Delete
  31. Something fresh and innovative. Your post is an out of the box idea and its awesome.:)

    ALL THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Arjun .. appreciate the kind words!

      Delete
  32. Good one! :) Had fun reading it! :) And somehow yes, everyone today thinks of Masterchef Australia, whenever there's even a little mention of Aus. (Me included). Oh and God being a She! Wooooo!!!Controversyee! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha.... controversy? not really - debatable topic no? Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  33. Very very innovative, Ma'am :D

    Not everyone can parry so beautifully with the Big Guy himself :D All the best for the contest! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sushmit.... yup! the Big Guy/Girl and I do have these conversations once in a while :-)

      Delete
  34. Loved it and extracted the best humor...
    The conversation is very interestingly built up..
    God was on a vacation but she did remember to make you win...Cheers!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippppppeeeeeeeeee!!!! Manjulika- I hadn't known! You were the bearer of such lovely news! thank you! Yippppppeeeee ...... oh wow!

      Delete
  35. Super creative post, Nirvana! Feeling really fortunate to have gotten ahead of such a beauty! Congratulations! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honored, Arti .... and so glad to have you come over! Congrats once again!

      Delete
  36. d story shows ur research abt melbourne......u really need to visit n exprnce d crazy thngs u hv talked abt.......gud luck.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for coming by Nitansha .... and for the wishes too.

      Delete
  37. You won........................................fabulous! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe........yeah! can you believe it?? Thank you so much!

      Delete