Monday, August 27, 2012

Of parties and guests ...........

I had promised to the comments in an earlier post, that I'd get the most awesome party planner (who happens to be my little sister) to write a guest post in this blog. Its finally here, after some major arm-twisting and serial-level emotional blackmailing. Do let us know what you think! 


*                            *                                 *

I don't blog. I am a mom. I have a 7 year old and a 7 month old. So if I foresee 5 minutes of silence, I'd sip a cup of coffee or maybe read the newspaper, or paint my nails  (sigh! The list is endless).


The only blogs I am able to follow belong to my sister and best friend. (Ok, ok.... I get browbeaten into following them too!). This post is the result of a sleep deprived promise that I made to a sister who was equally sleep deprived, on a guest post. So here goes....

My love to entertain is a result of years of gaping and gawking at some specially talented friends who took throwing parties to the next level. And then having sister who used to be a hotelier made it so much easier.

Planning an evening with a house full of guests and a mouthwatering menu be quite intimidating. Ofcourse, it usually ends up being a fun evening (for everyone else. For me, it is nothing short of a 1000 meter sprint followed by a round of kick boxing!).

Here, I have some tips which I learnt the hard way, and may be quite useful to save you quite a bit of trouble.
  • I usually start off with a TO-DO list weeks (or months, if its a surprise) before
  • I make 2 lists. One for me and and one my better half. (Yes, I am Hitler's first cousin) That way I don't nag him randomly for weeks. All I need to do is give subtle but frequent hints on 'the list'. He knows what his role is, and things get done on time. (Which means his TO-Do list would have date / time /store name and  ..maybe even directions :D )
  • The first and most important thing in the list is the When/Where/Who list. This will also tell you whether your guest list needs to be trimmed down based on space availability.
  • Once you get that figured out, start with the invitations. Personally, I prefer taking the trouble to pick up the phone and call. Though its takes up your time, it is much easier and you will most likely get an immediate response. But then if you are inviting those busy friends who spend their life in conference rooms (or the ones who are easier to get on their smart phones ..... try evite)
  • After you get a rough idea about the headcount THEN you plan the menu.
  • Make realistic decisions on how much you can manage on your own. If its a surprise for your dear ones, I would definitely consider preparing a few of his/her favourite dishes on my own. And maybe order out the rest.
  • Ofcourse, the food and drinks menu is a very important part of a party and it all depends on the occasion and who are the invitees and their preferences.
  • If drinks are being served I prefer having lots of appetizers / snacks and a simple dinner menu. End it with a heavy, sinful dessert - people remember desserts more than any other course of the meal. (More on menu planning on later a later post, when I get another threatening call from dear sis again)
  • A fizzy mocktail punch served in plastic glasses for kids keeps them away from the 'adult' drinks. This is why I love the Internet.You get all kinds of recipes and ideas for fruit punches. Add a splash of vodka and grenadine into it for the ladies and voila! you have a mini cocktail party going. (Men, it is observed, don't need too much prodding to discover and deplete the bar counter, so just make sure you have enough stock of various brands, ice, glasses and you're done)
  • So anyway, once you have decided the menu (which would include starters, drinks, dinner and dessert), start a few days ahead and take an inventory of what you have and what you need.
  • Shop for things like paper cups, plates, spoons, napkins, toothpicks, cocktail sticks etc. (anything that has a long shelf life) well ahead of time.
  • Decide on what Serving bowls and cutlery you will use and whether you have adequate numbers. (Borrow instead of buying, in case you fall short - you obviously won't be doing this madness often! )
  • Write down dates on your TO-DO list for the grocery shopping, cleaning up the house, pulling out hand towels, bed covers, cushion covers, tablecloth etc. (Rule : Don't wait for a golden jubilee to flaunt all that stuff you've been hoarding - these days there are stain removal processes that can restore beauty back into that gorgeous silk bed cover, if the kids stain it with chocolate!)
  • A day before the party, move furniture around and set it keeping in mind the seating requirements, the room for guests to roam, the bar area etc.
  • Don't forget to keep an eye on your spouse's to-do list too ..See how that's getting along. (This is about the time you can start nagging)
  • A mini snack area for the kids a little away from the adults table is a life saver. Preferably a rug thrown into a safe corner, with board games, music and loads of finger foods. If all kids are of approximately the same age, a good cartoon movie and popcorn would be a splendid idea.
  • The day before the party is also the best time to decide what each member of the family will wear. (Yes, you have to do that as well!)
  • On the day of the big bash, get rid of the kids  before you start (While I sometimes am tempted to take that literally, please don't quote me if you do so!)  I mean, for a few hours let grandparents do the spoiling or maybe a friend who wouldn't mind having them over.
  • Try to finish the cooking and cleaning at least 3 hours before the party. This gives you sometime to relax and dress up. (Just because you spent last night scrubbing the bathroom floor does not mean you ought to look that way!) This also ensures that your house won't smell like a restaurant when the guests walk in.
  • And get your kids back (yeah! I know - that's the part that makes me cringe too) and get 'em showered and dressed ..... unless you've packed their party wear along with them.
  • Don't forget to charge the camera batteries and delegate the pictures portfolio to a friend (Your spouse, in all probability, will be rushing out to complete something in the list the got missed out). Chances are you will forget all about picture in the mad rush.
  • In the very end, set up the bar, put out some of the ready snacks like peanuts, wafers, vegetable batons, papad etc. (this will buy you some time to serve the hot appetizers), light those vanilla-cinnamon candles you have been saving for that special occasion, some fresh flowers in strategic locations, and some light music (you can play the dhinka-chika later, when everyone is drunk)..
  • This would also be a good time to have that pep talk with your kids about some ground rules and how to behave when the guests arrive.
  • Once that's checked off your list, pour yourself a glass of wine / cup of coffee. Put your feet up and Smile - you my friend, are about to be showered with lavish compliments!

25 comments:

  1. the idea of the fizzy mocktails in papercups keeping the kids from the adult drinks - thats smart.

    As for getting rid of the kids on D-day, is it really that easy ? Maybe if you tied them up in a chair and hid them in the bedroom for a few hours... oh, I'm sorry, can this comment be seen by the public ? :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doc,
      you just gave me an idea as to what to do for my next home party... :-P..... ROFL....!!!!!!!

      Vidya

      Delete
    2. if it works, thank me. If you get arrested for child abuse, I've never met you before in my life !!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Rosh - Now I know which friend i should NOT send my kids to for a while!!Uncle Roshan mean!!!

      Delete
    4. hahaha!! trust Doc to come up with novel ideas! I think a better option would be to have Doc over to babysit - what say, Seema? Am sure the kids would have tied HIM up by the time we're back! :-D

      Delete
    5. Yeah I agree..love the "tie up the doc " part ;)

      Delete
    6. Hah ! You silly women. Noone can get the drop on me and tie me up. I know kung fu... well, I've watched Kung Fu Panda.. its almost the same thing.

      Delete
  2. Very nice :) Home parties are most fun, ever! Kudos to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arch!!I agree as intimidating as it may seem home parties are real fun!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much to your sister and to you (for nagging her :D) for this list!! Very well thought out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A comprehensive list. I liked the ides of fizzy punch for kids. Glad you nagged your sis into writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This stuff is extremely informative! Thanks a lot to your sis. She should seriously consider starting a party-planning blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sumitra! Party planning blog.. WOW!!That is an awesome idea!!!


      Delete
  6. Wow now that is good , a List made by an expert for us to make sure we have a good party , excellent yayyyyyyyyyy..
    thanks for sharing all the points ... will keep them in mind for sure


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words Bikramjit!!
      Could NOT have done it without darling sister.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for that planner ----a big relief --party giving will be easier in future :))

    warm regards
    rajni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rajni.. Planning ahead is the key!!! I'm glad you found it useful!

      Delete
  8. Wow, now thats quite a list! I'm markin this page fr my next party.... whenever tht happens :D

    Great post, La Femme n sis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you R-A-J!! Appreciate the comments!! Hopefully there will more from La Femme n sis!!

      Delete
  9. A very sane list. To do list is what makes everything possible I guess.

    Do invite me to your next party for me to see how everything goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe......... Ghazala, if you are ever in Delhi or Toronto -do let me know, and you are in for a party :-) ..... thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  10. Phew, that's some checklist. :P Great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ..... where have you been? no more scary nights?

      Delete